Saturday, September 19, 2009

30 Things About My Invisible Illness You May Not Know






1. The illness I live with is: Fibromyalgia and Rheumatoid Arthritis



2. I was diagnosed with it in the year: 2007



3. But I had symptoms since: 1998



4. The biggest adjustment I’ve had to make is: not being able to be as alive as I used to be, especially when it comes to playing with my kids.



5. Most people assume: that my conditions are under control because I hide them so well.



6. The hardest part about mornings are: Trying to pick up the baby to get him ready for daycare.



7. My favorite medical TV show is: Grey’s and ER.



8. A gadget I couldn’t live without is: The wonderful jar opener.



9. The hardest part about nights are: It can be hard to fall asleep because of the pain and the feelings of exhaustion.



10. Each day I take 20 pills & vitamins. (No comments, please)



11. Regarding alternative treatments I: I am still thinking about them.



12. If I had to choose between an invisible illness or visible I would choose: visible.



13. Regarding working and career: I wish that my conditions didn’t hinder my success, but they do.



14. People would be surprised to know: I am sick because I hide my conditions so well.



15. The hardest thing to accept about my new reality has been: asking for help, but I am learning one day at a time.



16. Something I never thought I could do with my illness that I did was: talk about it, make it known, and push for awareness.



17. The commercials about my illness: make me crazy.



18. Something I really miss doing since I was diagnosed is: just knowing what the day will bring. I can’t plan like I used to because I never know I will feel.



19. It was really hard to have to give up: working out daily and a lot of my favorite foods.



20. A new hobby I have taken up since my diagnosis is: mediating, praying and blogging.



21. If I could have one day of feeling normal again I would: I would run, dance and sing and do all the things I can no longer physically do.



22. My illness has taught me: patience, acceptance and strength.



23. Want to know a secret? One thing people say that gets under my skin is: people who spend money like crazy or don’t take of their bodies.



24. But I love it when people: give to charity and help others.



25. My favorite motto, scripture, quote that gets me through tough times is: Admiration is the daughter of ignorance. ~Benjamin Franklin. I have learned not to admire and to enjoy what life has already given me.



26. When someone is diagnosed I’d like to tell them: It is all about attitude.



27. Something that has surprised me about living with an illness is: how strong I am and how I patient I have become.



28. The nicest thing someone did for me when I wasn’t feeling well was: Told me I was beautiful, smart and funny.



29. I’m involved with Invisible Illness Week because: I want there to someday be cures for my conditions so that my children never have to suffer as I have.



30. The fact that you read this list makes me feel: Happy, that someone else wants to know now important awareness is.



Find out more about National Invisible Chronic Illness Awareness Week and the 5-day free virtual conference with 20 speakers Sept 14-18, 2009 at http://www.invisibleillness.com/

5 comments:

  1. It's sad that we live with our invisible illnesses for so many years without a diagnosis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Add 'brave' to your list of attributes because you are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know it's funny. I've had RA most of my life. Pretty much the only way people can tell I'm sick is if I'm limping or my elbow was really swollen.

    This summer I ended up in a cast and two boots. I had more people comment and tell me what "I should do..." while I was wearing those boots then I have the whole time I've had RA.

    I would suspect both sides have their advantages and disadvantages.

    I love you list and yes, attitude is everything when it comes to chronic or invisible illness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Most people assume: that my conditions are under control because I hide them so well." That is the same for me too.

    I can relate to most of what you wrote and can imagine the rest being the same for me if I was in your position.

    I wan to have a baby, but I am scared of the pain and not having the energy. You are so brave.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments.

Advertisements (and other crap) will be deleted.

If you are entering a giveaway, you have to leave your email address so I can contact you.

If you have any issues with the comment box, email me at lanab2005@msn.com. Thanks.